• Prep and cook time: 20 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 4 soft burger buns
• 400g lean minced beef
• 1 x 125g ball of mozzarella
• 8 heaped tsps green pesto
• 1 x 400g tin of plum tomatoes
- Use your clean hands to scrunch the minced beef with half the pesto and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
- Split into 12 pieces and, with wet hands, roll into balls. Brown the balls all over in a non-stick frying pan on a high heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, shaking the pan regularly.
- Once the balls are golden and gnarly, pour in the tomatoes, breaking them up with a wooden spoon, along with just a quarter of a tin’s worth of water.
- Bring to the boil, slice the mozzarella and lay over the balls, pop the lid on and leave to thicken for 5 minutes on a medium heat.
- Meanwhile, warm your buns in a large dry non-stick frying pan or in the oven on a low heat.
- Split each bun and spread 1 heaped teaspoon of pesto inside. Divvy up the balls and mozzarella with a little sauce, serving the rest on the side for dunking.
This great family recipe is thanks to Jamie Oliver at https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/messy-meatball-buns/