This is one of those quick, comforting, homemade suppers that should be taken to the sofa with a glass of red wine.
• Prep time: less than 30 minutes
• Cook time: 30 minutes
• Yield: Serves 6
For the Meatballs:
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 150g/5oz onion, finely chopped
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• 900g/2lb beef mince
• 2 tbsp freshly chopped herbs, such as marjoram or 1 tbsp rosemary
• 1 free-range egg, beaten
• 3 tbsp olive oil
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Tomato Sauce:
• 3 tbsp olive oil
• 110g/4oz onion, sliced
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 150g/5¼oz mozzarella, grated
• 1 tsp caster surgar
• 2 x 400g cans tomatoes
- Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy stainless steel saucepan over a gentle heat and add the onion and garlic. Cover and sweat for four minutes, until soft and a little golden. Allow to cool.
- In a bowl, mix the minced beef with the cold sweated onion and garlic. Add the herbs and the beaten egg. Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Fry a tiny bit to check the seasoning and adjust if necessary. Divide the mixture into approximately 24 round balls. Cover the meatballs and refrigerate until required.
- Meanwhile, make the tomato sauce. Heat the oil in a stainless steel saucepan.
- Add the sliced onion and the crushed garlic, toss until coated, cover, and sweat on a gentle heat until soft and pale golden.
- Slice the canned tomatoes and add, with all the juice, to the onion mixture.
- Season the contents with sugar, salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Cook the tomatoes uncovered for approximately 30 minutes or until the tomato softens (while this is cooking make the meatballs).
- Heat a frying pan and cook the meatballs for about 10 minutes in about three tablespoons of olive oil.
- When they are cooked, put them into an ovenproof dish with the tomato sauce and top with the grated mozzarella. Place under a preheated grill until the cheese has melted.
- Serve with spaghetti.
This great family recipe is thanks to BBC Recipes at https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/meatballswithtomatos_74759