Sweet juicy apricots and tender butternut squash are a winner with kids and make for a delicious Middle Eastern family meal for toddlers through to teens and beyond.
• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 2 hours & 10 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4 - 6 or makes 6 - 8 toddler meals
• 1/2 tsp cumin
• 2 tbsps olive oil
• 1 tbsp clear honey
• 1 onion, finely diced
• 1/2 tsp ground ginger
• 1/4 tsp saffron strands
• 500g diced leg of lamb
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• 2 fat cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 low-salt vegetable stock cube
• 100g soft dried apricot, quartered
• 2 carrots, finely diced (about 150g)
• steamed couscous or rice, to serve
• Chopped parsley and toasted pine nuts, to serve (Optional)
• 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed and cut into 1cm dice
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based pan and add the onion and carrot. Cook for 3- 4 mins until softened.
- Add the diced lamb and brown all over. Stir in the garlic and all the spices and cook for a few mins more or until the aromas are released.
- Add the honey and apricots, crumble in the stock cube and pour over roughly 500ml boiling water or enough to cover the meat. Give it a good stir and bring to the boil. Turn down to a simmer, put the lid on and cook for 1 hour.
- Remove the lid and cook for a further 30 mins, then stir in the squash. Cook for 20 – 30 mins more until the squash is soft and the lamb is tender. Serve alongside rice or couscous and sprinkle with parsley and pine nuts, if using.
This great family recipe is thanks to BBC Goodfood at https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/family-meals-easy-lamb-tagine