Smoky, salty bacon tastes delicious with naturally sweet foods like corn and scallops. we combined all three ingredients in this sophisticated risotto-like dish made with Arborio rice. I recommend sea scallops for this recipe. The smaller bay scallops are not large enough to get a good sear without overcooking.
For a crisp, golden brown sear, ensure the pan is very hot and pat the scallops dry with a paper towel before adding them to the pan. Instead of stirring the charred corn into the rice, you can serve it over the scallops.
• Prep and cook time: 35 minutes
• Yield: Serves 6
• 1 cup water
• 1 thyme sprig
• 1 cup half-and-half
• 4 cups chicken broth
• 2 tbsps unsalted butter
• 4 thick-cut bacon slices
• 1/2 tsp black pepper, divided
• 2 tbsps chopped fresh chives
• 2 cups uncooked Arborio rice
• 1 3/4 tsps kosher salt, divided
• 1 1/2 pounds dry sea scallops
• 2 cups fresh yellow corn kernels
- Combine rice, chicken broth, and water in a large pot over high, and bring to a boil. Stir in thyme sprig, butter, 1 ½ teaspoons of the salt, and ¼ teaspoon of the pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and take out thyme. Stir in half-and-half. Cover to keep warm.
- While rice is cooking, cook bacon in a large cast-iron skillet over medium, turning occasionally, until crisp, about 10 minutes. Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain, reserving drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon, and set aside.
- Place skillet with drippings over high, and add corn. Cook, stirring often, until corn begins to char, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove corn from skillet, and stir into cooked rice.
- Place skillet with remaining drippings over medium-high. Sprinkle scallops with remaining ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper, and sear in hot drippings until charred, about 1 minute per side. Stir bacon into warm rice. Serve scallops over creamy rice mixture sprinkled with chopped chives.
This great family recipe is thanks to Southern Living at https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/creamy-rice-scallops-recipe