• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 35 minutes
• Yield: Serves 6
• olive oil
• 2 tbsps butter
• 1 tbsp lemon juice
• 1 large butternut squash
• 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
• 800g to 1kg scallops (fresh or frozen)
• 1/4 cup pomegranate syrup (or substitute with honey)
• 1 bunchof French breakfast radishes (or any radish you like), about 12 pieces, leaves removed, washed and kept aside
- Thaw scallops overnight in the fridge on a covered plate lined with paper towel.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Peel butternut squash and cut into equal, bite sized pieces.
- Remove and wash the leaves from radishes, save for later.
- Heat a cast iron or other oven proof pan on medium high heat but not smoking. Toss the squash in a little olive oil and salt and sautée until you get a nice colour, approximately 10 minutes.
- Place in the oven and continue roasting till tender, approximately 25 minutes.
- Heat another pan to medium, toss the radishes in a little olive oil and salt and sautée until some colour is achieved and radishes are just slightly soft, approximately 8 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the pomegranate syrup and continue tossing radishes until they are coated well and syrup is warm.
- Remove immediately from heat and let rest to the side.
- In another large pan, heat to medium and add butter until it becomes frothy.
- Sprinkle scallops with a little salt and place in foamed butter.
- oss around pan until just cooked (approximately 3 minutes for smaller Bay scallops, 4-5 minutes if using larger ones).
- ull off heat, put scallops on a plate and set aside.
- In a large stainless-steel bowl, toss the scallops, squash, radishes with the glaze and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Plate luxuriously family style on a platter or on individual plates, sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.
NOTES: If your radish leaves don’t look so great, substitute with arugula or any other slightly firm leafy green you love (kale might be too tough, butter lettuce too soft).
This great family recipe is thanks to Marine Stewardship Council at https://www.msc.org/what-you-can-do/sustainable-fish-seafood-recipes/recipe/warm-salad-of-scallops-roasted-squash-radishes-and-pomegranate