What winter be without a delicious hearty chowder?!
Our Huon Salmon chowder will warm your insides all the way through and wrap you up like a warm hug.
• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 30 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 2 x 180g Huon Salmon Portions (cut into chunks)
• 100g Bacon rashers, or one thick piece, diced
• 1 tbsp Olive oil
• 1 Brown onion, finely diced
• 2 Stalks celery, finely diced
• 2 Stalks of thyme
• 1 litre Milk
• 4 Floury potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- In a medium sized sauce pan, cook the diced bacon over medium heat until golden and crispy. Removed with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- In the saucepan there should be some rendered bacon fat, cook the salmon in this until golden, then remove and set aside. Add the olive oil to the saucepan, then cook the onion and celery gently until softened, you don’t want any colour here.
- Add the thyme, then pour in the milk and add the potatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce hat and gently simmer until the potatoes are really soft and falling apart. This will thicken the soup. Flake the cooked salmon and add half of the salmon and the bacon to the soup. Set some of the crispy golden edges of the salmon aside to use as a garnish.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then remove from heat and serve. Sprinkle each soup with the reserved salmon.
This great family recipe is thanks to Huon Aqua Recipes at https://www.huonaqua.com.au/recipes/huon-salmon-chowder/