• Prep time: 45 minutes
• Yield: Serves 6
For the Cabbage-Pepper Relish:
• 1 tbsp kosher salt
• 1 carrot, shredded
• 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
• 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
• 1 1/2 tbsps crushed red pepper
• 1 1/2 tbsps distilled white vinegar
• 1 small head of green cabbage, thily sliced (10 cups)
For the Remoulade:
• kosher salt
• 1 cup mayonnaise
• 1/4 cup minced chives
• 1 small shallot, minced
• 2 tbsps fresh lemon juice
• 2 tbsps sweet smoked paprika
For the Chorizo:
• 6 hoagie rolls, split
• canola oil, for brushing
• two 12 ounce bottles light beer or lager
• six 6 ounce fresh chorizo sausages, pricked all over with a paring knife
Make the Relish: In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Mix by hand, squeezing the vegetables until the cabbage begins to soften and releases some liquid, about 3 minutes. Pack the cabbage-pepper relish into a 2-quart jar, cover tightly and refrigerate overnight, shaking once or twice.
Make the Remoulade: In a medium bowl, whisk all of the ingredients together and season with salt and pepper.
Grill the Chorizo: Light a grill. In a large cast-iron skillet placed directly on the grate, bring 3 cups of the beer to a simmer; it should be at least 1/2 inch deep.
- Meanwhile, oil the grate and grill the chorizo over moderately high heat until lightly charred all over, about 6 minutes. Add the chorizo to the beer in the skillet and simmer, turning occasionally, until cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes; add more beer to the skillet as needed.
- Return the chorizo to the grill and cook until well-browned, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a work surface and let rest for 5 minutes. Grill the hoagie rolls cut side down until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Spread some of the remoulade on the buns and top with the chorizo and relish. Pass the remaining remoulade and relish at the table.
This great family recipe is thanks to Food&Wine Recipes at https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/chorizo-hoagies-tangy-cabbage-pepper-relish