This is the sort of food you'll pay top dollar for at fine dining restaurants but is actually very easy to make at home. Wine provides complexity and depth of flavour so you only need a few ingredients! Oven is best but stove / slow cooker / pressure cooker / IP also work.
• Prep time: 15 minutes
• Cook time: 3 hours
• Yield: Serves 5
• 2 bay leaves
• 2 tbsps olive oil
• 2 carrots, chopped
• 5 - 6 beef short ribs
• 2 tbsps tomato paste
• 2 celery ribs, chopped
• 3 garlic cloves , crushed
• 2 sprigs thyme (optional)
• 2 cups (500ml) dry red wine
• 1.5 tsp each salt and pepper
• 2 cups (500ml) beef stock/broth, low sodium
• 1 large onion , chopped (brown, yellow or white)
- Preheat oven to 160C/325F.
- Sprinkle beef all over with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof pot over high heat. Add half the ribs and brown aggressively all over (~5 - 7 min in total). Remove and repeat with remaining ribs, then remove.
- Turn heat down to medium. Add onion and garlic into the same pot and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add carrot and celery, cook for 5 minutes until carrot is softened and sweet.
- Add tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add wine, broth, thyme and bay leaves. Stir until tomato paste is dissolved.
- Return beef into liquid, arranging them so they are submerged.
- Cover with lid and transfer to oven for 3 hours, or until the meat can easily be pried apart with forks.
- Remove beef carefully, keeping the meat on the bone. Cover to keep warm.
- Strain all liquid in the pot, pressing juices out of the onion, carrot etc. Return sauce into pot, bring to simmer and stir. Adjust as necessary - simmer to reduce/thicken, add water to thin, season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Place beef on serving plate, spoon over sauce. Serve!
This great family recipe is thanks to Recipe-Tin-Eats Recipes at https://www.recipetineats.com/braised-beef-short-ribs-in-red-wine-sauce/