Classic Chicken Noodle Soup is already pretty good for you. But we made this even healthier by loading it up with lots of kale, using low-sodium broth, and opting for boneless skinless chicken breast. We also used gluten-free noodles, but obviously egg noodles would be more than fine here.
• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 1 hour and 5 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
• 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
• Kosher salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 1 tsp. dried oregano
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
• 3 stalks celery, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 5 c. Swanson Chicken Broth
• 3 c. water
• Small bunch thyme
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 (12-oz.) package gluten-free noodles
• 1 bunch Tuscan kale, stemmed and shredded
• Juice of 1 lemon
- In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium high heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Season chicken all over with oregano, salt, and pepper and add to pot. Cook until golden and cooked through, about 8 minutes per side.
- Remove from pot and let rest 10 minutes before chopping into small chunks.
- Add about 2 tbsp chicken broth to skillet (it should bubble immediately!), then use a wooden spoon to scrape up and golden chicken bits. Let cook until most liquid has reduced down, then add remaining tablespoon oil.
- When oil is hot, add onion, carrot, and celery. Season with salt and pepper and cook until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Pour over broth and water and add bay leaf and thyme. Bring to a steady simmer and let simmer 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Increase heat and bring mixture to boil, then add noodles. Cook until noodles are tender, about 7 minutes. Discard thyme stems and bay leaves, then stir in kale, lemon juice, and chopped chicken.
This great family recipe is thanks to Delish Recipes at https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a23480757/healthy-chicken-noodle-soup-recipe/