Instant Pot Whole Chicken - Rotisserie Style - perfectly tender, juicy, rotisserie chicken you can make easily at home using your Instant Pot pressure cooker. Best of all, you can have a simple low carb keto roasted chicken dinner in about 45 minutes.
• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 25 minutes
• Yield: Serves 8
• 4 pounds whole chicken
• 3 tbsps olive oil, divided
• 2 1/2 tsps sea salt
• 1 tsp pepper
• 1 tbsp dried Greek seasoning
• 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
• 2 tsps smoked paprika
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 1/2 tsp onion powder
• 2 cloves garlic
• 1 cup chicken stock or chicken broth
• 1 large onion, halved optional
• 1 lemon halved; optional
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper, Greek seasoning, Italian seasoning, paprika, garlic, and onion powder.
For the Instant Pot method (Thawed Chicken):
- Gently loosen the skin from the chicken breast with your hands lifting and separating the meat. Rub 1 tablespoon of olive oil followed by a third (1/3) of the seasonings under the skin using your hands and fingers. Next, rub another tablespoon of olive oil and the rest of the seasonings over entire chicken and inside the body cavity.
- Optional: place the onion, garlic cloves and lemon inside the cavity of the chicken. This helps to seal in the moisture and add flavor.
- Press the SAUTE button HIGH. When the word "Hot" appears, swirl in 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Place the chicken - breast side down, in pot and sear for 5-7 minutes, or until a golden brown. Using tongs and a spatula, flip the chicken over and sear for another 5 minutes, or until brown. Remove chicken and place on a large platter. Place a trivet (the one that came with the Instant Pot or use another) inside the inner pot of the Instant Pot. Pour chicken stock or broth in pot. Place trivet on top of the chicken broth then lay chicken on top of trivet, breast side up.
- Cover and lock lid. Turn the valve to SEALING.
- Press the MANUAL or HIGH PRESSURE button and set to 24 minutes if your chicken is four pounds. If it's smaller or larger, calculate how much time it should cook by multiplying the number of pounds by 6 minutes. So, a 3 pound chicken would be 18 minutes and a five pound chicken would be 30. For a FROZEN WHOLE CHICKEN - set to 42 minutes ON HIGH for a 4 lb chicken. Allow the Instant Pot to come to pressure (this may take about 10-15 minutes).
- Once the 24 minutes is up and the Instant Pot beeps indicating the chicken is done, allow to naturally release for at least 15 minutes and then quick release for any extra pressure.
- Open lid and transfer chicken to a platter or a large cutting board. Optional: Broil in the oven for 4-5 minutes to crisp up the skin.
- Let chicken cool for 5-10 minutes. Slice or shred and serve with your favorite sides.
To Roast in the Oven instead:
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Place seasoned chicken on an oven roasting pan and cook for approximately 30 minutes. Cover loosely with aluminum foil (to prevent too much browning) and cook for an additional 40-50 minutes or until temperature reads 165 F.
- Remove roasting pan. Let chicken cool for 5-10 minutes. Slice or shred and serve with your favorite sides.
* NOTES: Save your bones in a freezer bag until you're ready and you can make Chicken or bone broth.
This great family recipe is thanks to Life-Made-Sweeter Recipes at https://lifemadesweeter.com/instant-pot-whole-rotisserie-chicken/