Inject come spice into your next barbecue with quick and easy Italian sausage burgers, fresh off the grill. Thick slices of mozzarella and sun-dried tomato mayo make simple, savory finishing touches.
• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 25 minutes
• Yield: Serves 6
• 1 pound lean ground beef
• 1/2 pound bulk mild or hot Italian sausage
• 2 tbsps Progresso™ Italian-style bread crumbs
• 6 slices (3/4 ounce each) mozzarella cheese
• 12 slices Italian bread, 1/2 inch thick
• 1/2 cup sun-dried tomato mayonnaise
• 1 cup shredded lettuce
• 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- Heat coals or gas grill for direct heat. Mix beef, sausage and bread crumbs in large bowl. Shape mixture into 6 patties, about 1/2 inch thick and 3 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Cover and grill patties 4 to 6 inches from medium heat 12 to 15 minutes, turning once, until meat thermometer inserted in center reads 160°. Top patties with cheese. Cover and grill about 1 minute longer or until cheese is melted. Add bread slices to side of grill for last 2 to 3 minutes of grilling, turning once, until lightly toasted.
- Spread toasted bread with mayonnaise; top 6 bread slices with lettuce, tomato and patties. Top with remaining bread slices.
This great family recipe is thanks to Betty-Crocker Recipes at https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/grilled-italian-sausage-burgers/34d508c1-f400-41ff-bfbc-86081ea1b085