Looking for a delicious natural lamb recipe? Try out this simple, yet tasty recipe for Lamb Mushroom and Beer Pot Pies from the experts at Australian Lamb!
• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 2 hours & 15 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 2 pounds Australian boneless lamb shoulder or leg, cubed
• ½ cup plain flour
• 1 teaspoon nutmeg
• salt and freshly ground pepper
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 3 cups light beer
• 1 pound small portabella mushrooms, quartered
• 1 package puff pastry sheets, thawed
• 1 egg, beaten
• black sesame seeds
To Serve: creamy mashed potatoes and vegetables
- Place the diced lamb, flour, nutmeg and salt and pepper into a bag or bowl and toss to make sure all the lamb is well-coated. Heat the oil in a medium-heavy pot over medium-high heat. Cook lamb until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes. Add the beer and stir well to combine.
- Bring to a simmer. Cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Gently simmer until lamb is tender, about 1 hour, stirring at intervals to avoid sticking. Stir in the prepared mushrooms, adjust seasonings to taste. Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes with the lid removed, until the juices are reduced and thickened. Allow to cool completely.
- Divide stew among 4 small pie dishes. Cut four 7-inch squares of pastry. Cover each pot pie with a pastry square, allowing it to drape over the sides. Refrigerate until cold, approximately 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Brush pie tops with egg wash and sprinkle with black sesame seeds. Bake pies on a rimmed baking sheet until crusts are golden brown, about 30 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Serve with creamy mashed potatoes and vegetables of your choice.
This great family recipe is thanks to True Aussie Beef and Lamb at https://www.trueaussiebeefandlamb.com/recipes-usa/consumer-recipes/lamb/lamb-mushroom-and-beer-pot-pies/